Thursday, June 13, 2013

Let's talk movies: Django Unchained

A few days ago I saw this movie with my mom. Sometimes, when things are really popular I'm not in a rush to see it, do it or read it. I have to want to do it not just because it is popular at the moment. I read Twilight after the first 3 books were out. I watched the Sex & the City series way after it was popular, same for Desperate Housewives and a few other shows. Same with Django. I was not super motivated to watch it at the theater. I would have went just to go out with my friends but it never worked out. First off, let me tell you that this movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes long! So, don't drink too much while watching it, there will be no bathroom breaks hehehhe.  I love Quentin Tarantino movies. I can't think of one I don't like. Yes, they are a little off beat sometimes and super gory, but they are good. This movie is about a slave, Django Jaime Fox, who was separated from his wife (Kerry Washington). He is bought by a bounty hunter, Dr. Shultz played by Christoph Waltz, to find his previous owners. They become friends and Dr. Shultz and Django head out bounty hunting and ultimately try to buy Django's wife. The big deal is that this is during slavery. It is rather frustrating to sit through an almost 3 hour movie and hear the N word like a gillion times. I really don't like that word. But, hey, this happened. People were slaves and it breaks my heart to think about it. How can people be so naive. Back, to the movie. Dr. Shultz speaks so funny in this movie. He is a German and I don't know if it is his accent and the deliberate way he speaks, it is so entertaining. I love that.There is tons of dramatic choral music. We hear funny words like "shitfire." We don't meet Leonardo DiCaprio for quite a while in this movie. Just as I was thinking this he pops up. I also was thinking how I can't really recall a movie where he played a bad guy. This pops up here too. He is Calvin Candie and owns Candyland plantation. I normally DO NOT like movies set back in the day or historical romance novels BUT one think that I do love  about time period movies is the dress. I think I should have been born in the 1920's. Anywho, of course Candie aka DiCaprio owns Django's wife. Samuel L. Jackson is in this movie too and he plays the role of a reverse Oreo. He thinks he is white pretty much! He does make me mad in this movie. What I also find interesting is "Southern Hospitality." Supposedly southern hospitality is like the warmest, friendliest, and sweetest kind of hospitality. BUT, they were the confederates, they wanted slavery, they beat their slaves, they probably even started the KKK...I just Googled it...they did dang a holes! UGH! OK, refocus on the movie. Django pretty much takes down Candyland, kills all the white folk and gets his lady back. YEAH! One of my favorite quotes of the movie, is of course from dang Leonardo DiCaprio when he tells Shultz and Django "You had my curiosity, now you have my attention." This was a great movie. I totally recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment